Seal oil is a superior source of Omega-3 compared to fish in many ways. First, seal oil contains a chain of omega 3 essential fatty acids called docosapentanoic acid, or DPA. DPA is present at very low levels in fish oils and the latest research is showing that DPA is as, if not more important, than EPA or DHA. Harp Seal oil can supply up to 10 times more DPA than fish oils. About a third of the long chain Omega-3 fatty acids circulating in human blood is attributable to DPA. Because of this, DPA has become of interest to medical researchers in both France and Japan. It seems that in the blood vessel walls, EPA may actually be converted to DPA as the effective agent.
Deficiencies in Omega-3 PUFA’s such as DPA may result in impaired development of visual acuity and motor skills, according to several studies.
Japanese researchers at the Tokyo Medical and Dental University in Tokyo have shown that the one stimulating effect of EPA is the key in producing prostaglandin that keeps the artery wall soft and free of plaque, this study indicates that DPA may be 10 – 20 times more powerful than EPA in this effect. Harp Seal Oil is the ONLY supplement rich in natural DPA. With the exception of seal oil, the highest incidence of DPA is in human breast milk.
Harp Seal Oil is free of chemicals and toxins such as mercury, PCBs and heavy metals. Also, the oil is a residual product of a chartered harp seal hunt in Newfoundland that is humane and does not affect the seal population. In fact, the hunt is chartered for population control and is done in a proper manner. The harp seal population is the largest in the world, 5.7 million, with more than 700,000 pups born each year. The total allowable catch of ADULT harp seals is only 275,000 per year. That is a far cry from the detrimental effect of over fishing on the fish population.
What can Omega-3’s do for Your Health?
1. Omega-3 helps maintain/support cardiovascular health (500-3,000 mg EPA + DHA, per day).
2. Omega-3 lowers serum triglyceride levels (1,000-3,000 mg EPA + DHA, per day). Some people who suffer from non-insulin dependent diabetes have elevated triglyceride levels.
3. Omega-3 helps support the development of the brain, eyes and nerves in children up to 12 years of age (150-2,000 mg EPA + DHA including at least 150 mg DHA, per day)
4. Omega-3 helps support cognitive health and/or brain function (100-3,000 mg EPA + DHA including at least 100 mg DHA, per day)
5. Omega-3 helps to promote healthy mood balance (1,500-3,000 mg EPA + DHA per day).
6. Omega-3 in conjunction with conventional therapy, helps to reduce the pain of rheumatoid arthritis in adults (2,800-3,000 mg EPA + DHA, per day).
7. Omega-3 helps to maintain artery wall elasticity. Also reduces the risk of further mechanical damage to vessel walls, which can lead to extended Atherosclerosis.
8. Omega-3 protects against immunological over-reaction. Clinically, Omega-3 is known for the positive results from patients inflicted with Rheumatoid Arthritis (inflammatory condition). However, it is also important for its protection against atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is seen as developing as an inflammation response to injuries to the artery walls. Recent research has shown that atherosclerosis can be reduced with supplementation of Omega-3 PUFAs.
Recommended Purpose: Source of eicosapentaenoic acids (EPA), (and/or) docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), (and/or) docosapentaenoic acid (DPA) for the maintenance of good health. Source of omega-3 fatty acids for the maintenance of excellent health. Helps to support the development of the brain, eyes and nerves in children up to 12 years of age.
500mg - 120 Capsules
Adults take 4 capsules per day or as directed your health care practitioner.
Medicinal Ingredients: Canadian Harp Seal Oil 500 mg (Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 30 mg, Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 30 mg, Docosapentaenoic acid (DPA) 15 mg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Glycerine, purified water, vitamin e, porcine gelatin